DASA (Direct Admission of Students Abroad) is a scheme launched by MHRD Govt. of India, which offers admission to NRIs and foreign nationals to Engineering, Architecture, Design, and Management courses. Under this scheme, deserving foreign nationals/ Persons of Indian Origins (PIOs) and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) are given direct admission to undergraduate Programmes offered by the National Institutes of Technology and other centrally funded institutes (other than IITs) and Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh. Through this scheme, the Government of India aims to provide quality education to the children of overseas Indians in engineering and technology. This year candidates will get admission under the DASA Scheme in coordination with NIT Surathkal and from 2021-22 onwards the admission will be based on JEE Main rank. The institutions covered under this scheme are known for providing quality education in Engineering and technology. All these institutions have reasonably good facilities for accommodation, sports and extra-curricular activities.
Under DASA Scheme, admissions are offered to Foreign Nationals / PIOs / NRIs who fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have passed class 12 with Mathematics, Physics and one of the subjects from (Chemistry, Biology, Bio-Technology and Computer Science)
- Must have a minimum aggregate score of 1800 in SAT subject tests.
- Must have secured a minimum of 60% or 6.75 CGPA on 10 point Scale or Equivalent Grades in all the qualifying examination subjects.
- All foreign nationals studying in any country including India or Indian Nationals studying abroad who fulfill prescribed criteria, will be eligible.
- Indian nationals seeking admissions should have studied abroad for a minimum period of two years (including the qualifying examination ie XI & XII Standards) during the last eight years and must pass the qualifying examination abroad.
- There is also a reservation for the Children of Indian Workers in Gulf Countries (CIWG), which is 5% supernumerary seats (within 15% of the supernumerary quota of DASA) and the tuition fee for students getting admitted to NITs and IIEST Shibpur under this category shall be INR 1,25,000 per annum while that for students in any other institution shall be same as that of the Indian resident students.
Fee Structure under DASA Scheme
A non-refundable registration fee of US $ 300 is required to be paid along with the application form.
Tuition Fee US $ 4000 per annum (Excluding hostel accommodation & other miscellaneous fees. Expenses for these will be in the range of US $ 400 – 800 Per Annum).
Foreign Nationals from SAARC Countries seeking admission under DASA Scheme are given a special concession of 50% fee waiver in the Tuition Fees provided they have studied in SAARC Countries only. https://dasanit.org/dasa2020/documents/dasa2020/Fee%20Structure.pdf
The participating institutions under the DASA scheme can be viewed here https://dasanit.org/dasa2020/documents/dasa2020/PIs.pdf Source: dasanit.org