The government of India has decided to extend the last date of linking the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with the Aadhar card by three more months. So, people have time to link Aadhar and PAN till September 30, 2021.
On Friday, Minister of State for Finance Anurag Thakur announced that the last date for linking the two identification cards had been extended, aiming to provide relief to taxpayers amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
This is the third time that the centre has extended its linking time. First, the last date was due on March 31, 2021, and later extended till June 30, 2021. Now, the deadline has been extended again by three months to offer relief amid the pandemic.
Read More: A Travel Guide To Majuli Island In Assam
If your PAN card is not linked with Aadhaar, it is likely to become inoperative and pay a late fee of Rs 1,000. Linking the PAN and Aadhaar card has been made mandatory to complete income tax-related activities like filing income tax returns (ITRs).
Aadhar, the Unique Identity number, is a 12-digit number issued by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), while PAN is a 10- digit alphanumeric number that the IT department assigns. PAN card is essential for making financial transactions.
Linking these two vital documents is a simple process as the IT department enables taxpayers to link the two unique identification numbers on its website. You can also link these two documents by sending an SMS either to 567678 or 56161. You can also follow the manual procedure by filling a form at a designated PAN service centre in your locality.
If you still face any hurdles to link the two documents, here’s how you can link your PAN card with the Aadhaar card.
- Log on to the income tax e-filing website by visiting https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal
- Then click on the ‘link Aadhar’ option.
- Enter your Permanent Account Number (PAN) correctly, Aadhar Number, and full name as given in the Aadhar card in the designated fields.
- After that, enter the details, such as date of birth, in the given fields.
- Type the correct captcha code
- Choose the appropriate option and click on the ‘link Aadhar’ tab at the bottom of the page.
This is how you can link your two unique identification numbers.