A permanent Account Number (PAN) is a way of finding out several taxpayers in the country. Pan Card happens to be a 10-digit unique identification alphanumeric number given to Indians, chiefly taxpayers.
Do NRIs Require PAN?
For resident Indian taxpayers, PAN is an absolute must, however, in respect of NRIs, it is not an essential thing to possess. But, if they wish to invest in stocks or open a bank account for remittance or get rent in the country PAN Cards become mandatory. So, for NRIs, it is not an essential thing, but if they wish to come back to India or make investments PAN will be needed.
Documents For NRI PAN Card
NRI applicants have to present the following documents to apply for a PAN card:
2 recent passport-size photographs
Copy of passport
Overseas address proof
Copy of overseas bank statement
How NRIs Can Apply For Pan Cards?
The Income Tax Department has made it very convenient for anyone, including NRIs, to get PAN Cards. By organising the entire process, it has become easy to procure the card. An NRI has to follow some easy steps to apply for a PAN.
- Go to the official website of TIN-Protean eGov Technologies Limited to begin the application procedure
- As an NRI happens to be an Indian citizen, he/she must get Form 49 and fill out the important information needed in the form
- The form must be submitted with some documents such as photographs, proof of address, ID proof and proof of age
- A fee of Rs 107 is required if the communication address falls in India but if the communication/delivery address is outside India then Rs 989 will be needed
- After the payment, an applicant will get an acknowledgement number which can be utilized in knowing the status of the PAN application
How NRIs Can Apply PAN Online?
- Go to the TIN NDSL website and choose the “Online PAN Application” tab given on the homepage
- Choose Form 49A, the form for Indian citizens from the two options provided
- From the below part of the page, select the type of applicant from the drop-down menu
- A new tab will open and fill in the details accurately by following the instructions on filling out the form
- Once everything gets filled, there will be a choice to asses the information provided
- Upload the necessary documents
- After going through the information thoroughly just click on “Submit”
- A payment gateway will open, which should be used to pay the processing fee by credit card
- You can even pay by cheque/DD from an Indian bank
- You will get an acknowledgement. Get it printed and paste two photographs in the spaces provided
- The PAN card will be despatched to the address given on the form within 15 -20 days from the date of the receipt of the acknowledgement