The Hatta Master Development Plan, a part of the Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan, aims to transform the town into an attractive destination for business, investment and tourism. This includes the construction of an inland beach, lake and cable-driven mountain railway.
Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed, the Crown Prince of Dubai, has issued an order to form a supreme committee to oversee the development of the Hatta region. Hatta has already become an adventure getaway, with mountain biking and kayaking popular activities, and is near the border with Oman.
The Plan seeks to develop and raise the profile of Hatta’s natural and tourist attractions, as well as protect its environment. It is a part of Dubai’s wider plan. The huge investment will be required to turn Hatta into an even bigger destination for residents and tourists. Hatta residents will also be allowed to build 200-holiday homes to support domestic tourism in the district. The new committee will be responsible for all the development work to make it an attractive tourism hub.
The committee will ensure that all the developmental work is done in a sustainable way and no harm is caused to the environment and historical sites in the area. There are plans to construct a beach, a new lake, a cable railway, several hotels, and 120 kilometres of bicycle paths in Hatta. These apart there will even be a mountainside health resort and the first tourist funicular system of its kind in the region to transport visitors to Hatta Dam.
A waterfall and mountain viewing platform will also be constructed. The introduction of new bus service is also on the anvil, aside from a compartment for bicycles and scooters. A new ride-sharing service and the provision of on-demand bus service are also in motion to allow visitors to tour various heritage sites.
The committee’s tasks and powers:
- It will draw up the general policy for the development of the Hatta region and supervise and implement the development of projects.
- The committee will work on providing high-quality services in the area for residents and visitors.
- It will also be responsible for encouraging investment in Hatta and ensuring that there are investor-friendly services available.
- The resolution states that the committee should ensure direct communication channels between the relevant government agencies so that projects are completed on time.
- Organise activities and events that support the developmental work.
- To propose and review draft legislation to help achieve the committee’s objectives.
- Ensure there is proper coordination between the relevant local and federal departments and agencies.
- Prepare a promotional and marketing plan for Hatta considering the local and international markets.
- The Supreme Committee will form sub-committees and working teams and assist them in performing their tasks.
The committee will serve for a renewable period of three years and is subject to an extension subject to the recommendation of its chairman made to the Crown Prince of Dubai. The committee is chaired by the commissioner-general for Infrastructure, Urban Planning and Well-Being Track.
Other members of the committee include the managing director and CEO of Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA); the director-general of Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism; the director-general of Dubai Municipality; the director-general of Dubai Culture and Arts Authority’ the CEO of Engineering Office; as well as representatives from the General Secretariat of The Executive Council of Dubai and the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA).
The plan specifically focuses on supporting young entrepreneurs who own small- and medium-sized businesses, to enable them to implement projects and creative ideas to advance sustainable economic development projects within the area to boost the private businesses in the region.